Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ships

So, Friday we skipped on over to Alabama.
I am pretty sure I was singing "Sweet Home Alabama!" in my head the entire time.

We went aboard the:
USS Alabama


 Shooting the guns with sound effects and all!


 I think instead of "time out" I will start putting the girls in the Brig.


No Vacancy?  What?  I guess we will have to sleep at the condo instead.  Shucks.


Battleship!!  Looks like that game was based on real life stuff.  It is crazy to think people were actually out on all those ships.  It would have been so stinking scary!  


The girls were actually REALLY interested in exploring the ship.  We wandered through it for almost two hours and the never complained.  I was so impressed.


Cool view.

 We did a lot of this.  Up and down and up and down.  No wonder those old navy boys had such slim hips.

Little airplanes.


A very serious chain.


The USS Alabama was well worth the visit.  I'm not much of a history type girl, but I am so glad we went.  It was both interesting and inspiring.  People are sure brave.


SHIP ISLAND
Saturday we loaded our stuff onto the ferry and road out to Ship Island.  It is about 11 miles off shore.  I had heard a lot about this little island and insisted we take the day to visit.
I am so glad we did.
You know that song on Legally Blonde at the beginning, "It's a perfect day..."  
Well, it was.


The neat thing about this whole experience is that the only way to get to the island is by boat.  And this is the only one that goes.  So, you kinda get to know all the people on the way out.  Then you are stuck on the beach together for the day, so it forces you to be friends.  And by the end of the day you are sharing sun block, building sandcastles together, and swapping stories under each other's shade umbrellas.  It is so welcoming and charming.

That said...here are some pics.

The boat ride out to the island.



The sand was perfect.  It was so soft and white.  I don't think there was a single rock.




Sorry about the hat Gage.  We left your's at the condo, so you got stuck with a girl one.  :)  Better than a sunburn right?  Maybe?  


Decorating the beach.

 The water was shallow for like 250 yards out.  It was so clear you could see your own toes.  It was warm too.  I know.  Perfect right?

There were a few of these little visitors though.  I was told they were the kind of jelly fish that don't sting.  EEK!  


There were only a handful of people on the beach (and we were buddies by noon.)  It was like we were on a private island.  I never had to worry about loosing the girls, or someone sneaking off with our stuff.  We could seriously just relax.  


Thank you Ship Island for letting us visit.  We had the most lovely time.  


So, this weekend was all about SHIPS.
The end.

6 comments:

Paparazzi Boutique said...

Wow, Adelle, look at all the neat adventures you are having. The trip of a lifetime, totally. Brooke and I decided in church today that we are a tiny bit jealous. :-) But we love you still the same. Keep sharing the adventures with us. We miss you all.

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

I was going to say the same thing....Wow, what adventures you're having!! But it's like you're in a summer paradise, while we're all experiencing Fall. You're going to have some amazing stories to tell when you get home!

Sharstin said...

it all looks so much fun! i would take some sun and sand right now:) love all the picts~

Kyle and Shayla said...

Wow! That beach looks amazing! So beautiful! I can't believe the sixe of tha chain Natalie was sitting on!

I'm Jenny said...

Looks so Lovely! Soak up every delicious moment. And then, come home! I miss you! :)

The Steel's said...

What..I am a tad behind on your life! You moved, well kinda! How exciting! It looks like a beautiful place, what an exciting adventure for you all!