Monday, April 20, 2015

My Greatest Treasure

My family is the most important part of my life.  My kids.  My husband.  My parents.  My siblings.  My nieces.  My nephews.  My In-Laws.  My WORLD.

My world got rocked last week when my mom told me that my Dad had been experiencing chest pain.  Scary pain.  The kind that makes him unable to walk it hurts so bad.  The kind of pain that signals a heart attack.  We have been down that road before and it is not good.  I hate that kind of news.  I found myself crying at random moments.  What would I do without my Dad around?

He didn't want to go to the hospital because the doctors had told them that there wasn't much they could do for him.  Luckily, his doctors keep close tabs on him, and they decided to try.

Sunday night, we planned a big birthday bash so we could all get together before he went to the hospital on Monday.  We wanted him to be sure to know how much we all love him.


We took a few quick pictures before dinner.  Luckily we got a shot with everyone looking!  That was a trick.  :)




We had a huge Italian Feast.  I made some french bread for the first time.  It was tasty!  Now that I have tried it once,  I can do even better next time.  

We all got a kick out of the hutch with all of the iPhones chilling together.  That wasn't even all of the phones!  Let's not count how much money is in this picture.  It makes me laugh.


After dinner, the kids all got to participate in a big treasure hunt.  They picked teams playground style.  Natty and Ben were excited to be on the same team!  Here is Team One!


And here is Team Two!


My mom placed clues around the yard that led each team from place to place.  The clues were photographs of spots in the yard, so even kids who can't read could still be involved.  


These cute girl's carried all the young ones up and down from the front to the back!  Aren't they the best?!  Gabbi said she is sore today.



Team Two found their treasure basket first.  They were excited to find all sorts of fun prizes and treats inside.  Aunt Cindee knows how to stock treasure.


Team One wasn't far behind.  It sure made Libby frustrated to be second.  She is a competitor.  But, she found plenty to be happy about inside her treasure basket.  



It was so fun to watch all the kids work together to find the clues.  And they were all so good to share the treasure at the end.  

After our hunt, we had birthday cake!  Dad always requests carrot cake!  I have been putting my new frosting tips to work lately.  This time, to make little tiny frosting carrots.  

Cord takes credit for the tastiness of this cake because he grated and shredded a whole pile of carrots for me.


It is Art's birthday this week too, so we sang to both the birthday boys!  I put a little tiny Yoda figurine from the treasure bucket on the brownies.  Then we told them "Yoda BEST!"  He he he...


We enjoyed the beautiful spring weather and just being together.  Matt gave Dad a very nice priesthood blessing.  He spoke wise and comforting words that we all needed to hear.  I am grateful for the priesthood.  

Today, things went well.  Mom sent a text saying that the Doctor was able to fix him up.  We are all so relieved.  There are still too many jokes to tell, dreams to dream, and birthday's to celebrate!

2 comments:

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Sweet post Adelle! In the grand scheme of things, the only thing that matters, is family :) Nice work on the cake!! And I've totally been wanting to try my hand at french bread, so maybe you could give me a lesson?! I haven't been cooking much lately. When I'm trying to eat less, my poor family suffers. We need to get together soon!

I'm Jenny said...

Love this post! Love our family and our Dad!! So grateful for his presence in our lives still and hoping for lots more years to come!