Saturday, July 19, 2014

My Bird Day at Snow Bird

I was walking one lovely morning in June with my friend, Katie.  She gave me a fantastic suggestion.  She told me that for her birthday last year, she and her husband went up to Park City and stayed at a ski resort.  She said it was a ton of fun.  Well...I couldn't resist checking it out.  I searched and researched and googled and soon discovered Summer at Snowbird.  I am so glad I did.

Cord and I booked an overnight package for just the two of us.  I looked forward to our adventure for weeks.  I was seriously giddy thinking of having two days to play in the mountains with just Cord!

This turned out to be one of my best birthday's yet!  Monica was happy to watch Libby and Natalie and my parents offered, yes offered, to watch Gage and Oliver!  What good grandparents.  :)  I didn't have to worry about our kids at all while we were out celebrating, because I knew they were in such good hands.  I am so grateful for amazing families.

Friday, the 11th, we dropped the kids off at their sleepover locations, and then headed to Salt Lake.  We got to Snowbird at about 1:00.  We were able to check into our room early, so we settled in and enjoyed the beautiful view for a few minutes.  Our room was awesome.  It had a really nice kitchen and a great living area.  It was way nicer than it looked like it would be from the photos online.



Shortly after that, we headed down to the Bird Center to get our activity wristbands.  We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening doing all of the fun adventure activities at the resort.  We rode the Alpine Slide, The Sky Flyer, the Mountain Coaster, did the Ropes Course, and climbed the Rock Wall.  It was so fun!  We laughed and played and joked and even flirted a bit.  Why not right?







We rode the tram to the top of the world, I mean, mountain.  It was so cool to look out at the view of the valley.  Beautiful!



When we were worn out, we went to get dinner at one of the restaurants at the resort.  I was seriously craving french fries and I was not disappointed when my plate came out with a huge stack of fat steaming fries and a yummy loaded hamburger on it.  I was stuffed and happy.

After dinner Cord tried out one of those trampolines with a bungee cord that makes you bounce really high.  He did all sorts of flips and tricks.  I watched from the sidelines with a very full belly.



We had planned on watching the outdoor movie on the plaza, but when we got there it felt kind of crowded, so we went on a hike instead.  The mountain was gorgeous with wildflowers and tall pines.  I was in nature heaven.  We saw a few deer and walked by a waterfall.





When it got dark, we hung out in our room for a bit and watched a movie and forced ourselves to go to sleep so we wouldn't be crazy tired the next day!

My birthday started off with at Bang!  And when I say bang, I really mean gourmet buffet!  Holy smokes, we had a beautiful breakfast in the atrium of the big hotel at Snowbird.  There was so much beautiful fancy food.  It was so hard to choose what to taste.  I had a fruit and yogurt parfait that melted in my mouth the berries were so ripe and juicy.  Really, it was all superb.  I am hungry now, just thinking about it.        



Oh, I forgot to mention we woke up early and went on a mountain bike ride.  I was a chicken little and didn't dare go on the single bike track.  It was scary!  Too many rocks and hills and drop-offs for my taste.  So, we ended up riding on the road for most of the time.  But, it was still fun--and my legs got a serious workout.  yowzers!



After our amazing brunch, we packed up our room and then went back to the Bird Activity Center and did everything again a few times.  Gotta love the Alpine Slide!  It was a bit more crowded on Saturday, so we were really glad we did most of our playing on Friday.


We took the tram back up the mountain.  This time we went for a hike over to a huge glacier.  I built a tiny snowman while Cord watched the mountain bikers ride down the brand new bike trail.  It was fun to see the riders catching air and zooming by.






After our hike, we took a scenic drive up to Alta.  We ended up randomly parking next to a trail head.  There were a lot of people standing there so we asked about the hike.  They said it was a good one.  So, we figured we better check it out.  About 30 minutes later we were sitting next to Cecret Lake.  It was seriously gorgeous scenery.  I felt so lucky we had stumbled upon it.  It was a perfect conclusion to our day.


We got some yummy smoothies to sip on during the drive home.

It was seriously a fantastic way to spend my birthday.  I loved every single minute.    
    

1 comment:

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Oh I am so jealous! Sounds like a perfect way to spend a Birthday! Maybe someday....sigh... One of my friends just hiked to Cecret Lake. Guess I might have to go check it out. Glad you had a great Birthday!!