Monday, July 8, 2013

Our Fourth Festivities

The Fourth has to be one of the most festive days of the entire year.  I just love every moment from the pancakes at breakfast to the fireworks at night.

This year, our two sparkling little girls were part of the Farr West and the Plain City parades!  They looked so cute all dolled up and ready with their candy bags full of goodies to toss.  I just love a good ole fashioned small town parade.  There were old farmers on tractors, marching bands, kids on horses, old army tanks, and lots of sweets to collect from the sidelines.  Jenny and I went early to drop off the girles at the start and then met our boys to watch the show.

(My mom helped me make these sparkling bags for the girls to use in the parades this summer.  I am so glad that my mom is happy to assist with all my big ideas!  I think they turned out really cute.)

The sun was out and shining.  It helped make the float sparkle, but it made it hard for the girl's to open their eyes for a picture!



Looks like they were having a blast right?  I just love watching them.


We found a bit of shade to chill in while we waited for the parade to start. 
 
 

We headed home after the parade for some lunch and to nap.  Then we buzzed down to the Tanner house for an All American Barbeque.  We had burgers with all the fixings, Dad's baked beans, watermelon, and chips.  We finished things off with frosty Root Beer Floats.

Here are my two favorite boys!  And we all kind of matched.  :) 

  

After we ate, I busted out the ole' tiger tails for a few rounds of Catch a Tiger by the Tail.  It was fun to watch the kids run and chase.  I just love summer.
 

We like to tease Caden about his muscles!  Look at how strong he is getting.  Whoo-Wee Caden!


Gage was a bit intimidated by all of the action, so he hovered around the sidelines.
I don't blame him.  We had some pretty wild animals.


At around eight we loaded up our fireworks gear and walked down a few blocks to Barker Park.  It was so nice to be able to just stroll down to the fireworks.  We didn't have to battle with traffic and parking and all that mumbo jumbo.  Chad got to pull the gear and the kids in his awesome wagon.  He didn't get enough of a work out at the 5K that morning I suppose...

  

We live in such a beautiful place.  I feel like we are really starting to have some solid roots down here in North Ogden.  I love our friends and neighbors and the landscape continues to take my breath away.


Ryan kept the kids entertained.  They wrestled, chased, wrapped up in blanket burritos, tickled, and teased.  I love it when Natalie giggles her little head off.  She has the most contagious laugh. 
 



 Someone walked by our spot selling glowing goods, and the kids had to get some!  So, as the sky faded into darkness, the kids glowed and danced and created their own light show before the fire in the sky began.

 

As I sat and watched the fireworks bursting over the silhouette of our mountains,  I couldn't help but feel grateful.  We live in a beautiful country.  We have so much freedom and opportunity.  As the colored fire lit up the faces of the people around me, I saw Gage snuggled on his Daddy's lap. I watched as Libby and Shaye hid their faces in the blanket and then peaked out again to see the sparkling lights.  Heard Natalie's constant chatter.  I rocked Oliver to sleep in my arms and felt the summer breeze on my skin as I tucked his blanket around his soft legs.  My heart was bursting with love and pride and gratitude and patriotism.  It was a good night.

After the show, we headed back to Jen's house for our own mini fireworks show.  We laughed at how our tiny fireworks buzzing and flashing in the street contrasted to the big aeriel fireworks people were launching around us!  But, we had fun anyway.  I love the Fourth, my family, and America...


2 comments:

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Looks like you guys had an amazing 4th!! Super cute girls in the parade as well :)

I'm Jenny said...

One of my favorite days EVER! So grateful for my freedoms, my family, beautiful North Ogden and all my blessings! Our family is incredible - how did we get so lucky? Love you!