Adrenaline. Cow bells. Number tags. Gatorade. Photographs.
High fives. Sweat. Music. Vendors. Cliff Bars. Relief.
I dare say race day is one of my favorites. And I don't even race.
This guy does though. And he does it so well.
Saturday Cord ran the Ogden Half Marathon. This is is second year doing it and he decided this time he would actually train a little bit. Imagine that. It looks like it paid off too. He cut ten minutes off of his previous time and crossed the finish line in 1 hour 27 minutes and 50 seconds.
Smokin'
The kids and I were there, cheering him on! I felt like a proud little chicken watching him run past us. He was happy and he looked so good--like he was just doing a little jog around the block.
The kids kept saying, "There's DADDY!"
Cord said that about mile 9 he thought to himself,
"My little family is going to be waiting for me at the finish line."
And it made him so happy...
So, another race day has come and gone! I loved it.
*****
We went out on a little date that evening, to celebrate.
And because I was in the mood to go out! :)
As I sat across from Cord at dinner, an overwhelming feeling of gratitude came over me.
I felt so lucky. . .
Cord was happy to walk with me around outside the restaurant while we waited for our table
(even though he was a bit sore from the race)--
because I don't like to sit down and have everybody stare at us as they walk by.
He automatically handed me a straw when we got our drinks--
because he knows that I use a straw when there is ice in my cup.
We knew what to order before we looked at the menu--
not because we are boring, but because we know what each other likes.
And we shared a meal. So, I wouldn't get too full.
He let me sit with my back to the isle, so I wasn't distracted by the coming and going of waiters.
An unspoken gesture of love showing me that he cares.
He knew to order the cheese on the side, I grabbed the tomatoes out of his salad.
Sitting there together, I realized how we really are best friends.
Our lives have molded together in such a complete and satisfying way.
I am glad that our life together is not a race.
That we can be comfortable at the easy pace that each day takes.
That we can be comfortable at the easy pace that each day takes.
That our two separate lives flow together in an pleasant and natural way.
I feel so blessed.
And dinner was delicious!



3 comments:
Super cool! Where did my brother come from? And why don't I have this super talent? ha..ha.. Hooray for Cord! Way to go :) What an amazing accomplishment for sure! So glad you had a nice dinner out. LOVE LOVE LOVE, that you are such a cute couple and best friends :)
Wow! It looks like my hubby and yours finished about the same time. I'm surprised I didn't see you there amoungst the other millions of people:) It was such a great day!
way to go cord! he smoked it! i always love reading your sweet posts--what a great family you have~
Post a Comment