Thursday, December 2, 2010

Happy

Being small makes a difference during the Holidays.

The tree seems taller.
Jingle bells ring louder.
Twinkle lights glow brighter.
Christmas treats taste sweeter.
Wrapped presents tempt stronger.
The Christmas morning countdown feels longer.

This year, the countdown, to begin the countdown lasted forever.
(got that?)
My mom gave the grandkids chocolate advent calendars from Trader Joes.
It has been ELEVEN days since the girls have been watching and waiting to begin opening the doors.
Yesterday, the countdown officially began.
The first chocolate was a squirrel.
What will today's be?
I am sure we will know just after breakfast...

 


(I got one too....my mom knows me well.)
Libby offered to take my picture opening up the door.
Oh, and do you think if I asked REALLY nicely, 
that Santa would bring me a Trader Joe's for Christmas? 
So,
We have been working on our tree.

I was craving something new this year.
Lets be honest.  I'm still a little girl.
I decided on a gingerbread man tree.
The girls helped me decorate, sew, and stuff gingerbread men ornaments.
We also made some dough and baked up a batch of the friendly fellows for the tree.
They smell delicious.
It is day three and I can still smell a mix of cinnamon, ginger, and molasses in the air.
Yum.

I smile every time I catch a glimpse of the tree.
It is such a happy one.
I guess that is what this season is about.
JOY.

These guys and gals are waiting to be stuffed.
We ran out of filling...  :)


Don't you love how kids decorate?
Nat hung about as many gingerbread men on these three branches as humanly possible.
It is so darn cute.
She said, "Navidad!" every time she hung one on.
(thanks Dora)



Happy December.

12 comments:

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

LOVE your new ornaments!! So cool. Where do you get such great ideas? The tree looks so good. Kind of Jealous! ha..ha.. We don't have a real tree this year. Just three little Pine trees that are up all year round. But maybe next year....

Wendy Pippin said...

reading your blog always makes me happy!!

Kyle and Shayla said...

I second what Wendy said!!

I'm Jenny said...

You are always thinking up something creative, aren't you? Love your gingerbread men! The eyes - they look so surprised! Made me happy to see. :)

The Green's said...

I love the tree. So cute. Making gingerbread with your girls was such a cute idea!

Paparazzi Boutique said...

I agree...the countdown to the countdown is torture. Advent calendars are so fun. Cute ones with chocolate. We're doing the LEGO city advent calednar. Open a door each day and build a lego surprise. The kids love it, I think I'd prefer chocolate if it were me. (he.....he) The kids brought home the traditional red/green chain link countdowns as well. Plus with our other ones everyone gets to count down something. I guess we are all just big kids, eh? Cute tree BTW.

The Picketts said...

I LOVE this idea! Would you be willing to share your gingerbread recipe? I think that that would be a fun FHE project to do! (my email is jasonanddiana@gmail)

I LOVE reading your blog. you're such a happy person that you can't help but to be HAPPY reading it!

Eichmeiers said...

I love your gingerbread men as well!! Way to be crafty:) Cute kiddos. I love that they had a countdown til the countdown!!

Brooke said...

I love your posts! They are always way too cute!

Sharstin said...

i love the gingerbread, your tree looks dreamy! we really do need a trader joes! those calendars are so fun-I loved that as a kid.

Natalie said...

You are so creative. I love the tree!

Kara said...

You are one creative lady! So cute, this time of year is definitely so much fun with the kiddos:)