It makes me so sad to think that there are little 1st grade children who now have to read picture books about gay marriage in their classrooms at school. That some kids don't even know who God is and they can no longer say the Pledge of Allegiance to start off the school day. That ugly swear words are part of every day conversation. That more people have children out of the bonds of marriage than within it's holy union. That humility is seen as weakness and brashness and crudeness are considered entertainment. That the ones leading our country are afraid to lead because they want to be accepted and popular. The list goes on and on.
I said to my girl friends, "I just want it all to go away. I don't want to get involved. It gets too personal."
Then my amazing friend Katie, who grew up in California, told me about how the Church had her family stand up and fight to defend the Proclamation of the Family. They were asked to knock doors in their neighborhood to plead their case and to stand on street corners with signs opposing Proposition 8. Her parent's were egged. They were mocked. They were bullied. They were verbally abused. But, they stood up for what is right. Not because they wanted to hurt feelings, but because they were not afraid to defend truth.
So, today, I am planting me feet. In the spirit of love and compassion I will stand up for what I know to be right. I support the Proclamation of the Family. I know that when we live by it's commands, life is full of joy. My life is proof of this. I bear testimony of the fact that living gospel principles is the one and only way to true happiness. The world will always try to trick us into taking part in it's counterfeit offerings. It is easy to mistake these sneaky knock-offs as happiness but they are nothing but empty packages and hollow promises.
I hope that my life will be an example of Christ-like living. I pray that I will be shown how to bring light and joy into my home and my community. My greatest desire is that when I meet the Savior again he will know me because I will be like him. And I, too, will know Him.
Who knew that an evening of chocolate fondu and girl talk would be so beneficial to my spirit? Thanks Katie!

3 comments:
Beautifully written! I love you!!
Adelle, I just love ya! I was worried I had come across too strong last night when I was talking about that, so thank you for sharing your thoughts! Right after you left to tuck your sweet children in, we all talked about what an amazing example you are and how you and Cord emulate such a Christlike marriage. It made me think all night that I need to let little things go more because, it's true, little disagreements do go away. And I think it's so neat that you and Cord don't fight! That is a true Christlike marriage! Thank you for being my friend!
Brings tears to my eyes. I feel the exact same way about this world we are living in. It seems like Satan is having a lot of influence these days. I don't like any of it!
Post a Comment