There are few things that I like better than a good vacation! It is just so nice to explore new places as a family. We have made a tradition of taking a vacation each year with the other Belnap family--Dax, Monica, and Kayla. We picked Driggs Idaho this year, because it had great reviews on the biking trails and we found a beautiful place to stay for a smokin' good deal. Brent and Lorna came with us this time to add to the fun!
Saturday morning we all headed off together. We stopped at Idaho Falls to eat a picnic lunch. The falls are beautiful. It was a little bit scary to let Oliver run around during lunch because the river was right there, but we managed to keep everyone on dry land.
Saturday night, we got settled in our condos, and scouted out our new place!
Sunday morning we drove up to Targhee Mountain Resort. The kids each took a turn bouncing on one of those giant trampolines with bungee cords strapped to their waist. Natalie was the most brave, but they all gave it a good try. After that, we found a beautiful campground to use for lunch. The forest of tree's was amazing. It was such a beautiful place to spend the afternoon.
The kids found a mountain stream to wade in. Ollie threw in a mountain of rocks into the water, and we took a lot of great pictures! Dax used his camera on the trip, so I only have my phone photos. We are going to have to get together soon for a picture preview party!
When we got back from the forest, Oliver took a nice long nap. Lorna offered to keep an eye on him so the rest of us could take a trip down the Targhee River on the kayaks. The river was one of my favorite parts of the whole trip! I seriously loved every minute. The float was beautiful. There were hundreds of fish swimming below us. We heard several Moose talking back and forth. The clouds were painting pictures in the sky. I just kept thinking to myself, "This is one of the most beautiful things I have ever done."
Monday morning, the boys went for a muddy bike ride in the Tetons. They got back just before a major rain storm blew in. It was Dax's birthday, so we decided to party in Jackson Hole. We spent the day shopping in all of the little stores in downtown Jackson. The kids had a fabulous time choosing souvenirs. We found a toy store that was bursting with all sorts of treasures. We spent at least an hour wandering through all of the isles. Oliver had his own tiny shopping cart that he filled numerous times. The kids all got extra lucky because Granny-B bought them all a stuffed animal, so they got two prizes!
That night we had dinner and a show at the Bar J. The rain had cleared up, so we were able to enjoy the grounds and not get soaked! Cord got totally stuffed at dinner. I was seriously laughing at him because he couldn't move. The kids were a bit wiggly at first, but they eventually settled down and enjoyed the performance quite a bit. Oliver fell asleep, so that was nice! We all really enjoyed the Bar J Wranglers. They were funny and very talented. It was a fantastic day in Jackson Hole and a Happy Birthday for Dax!
Tuesday we all rolled around town on a Belnap Family Bike Tour. Even Lorna got to join in on the ride. We explored a beautiful community called Buffalo Springs. It is owned by John Huntsman. We toured one of the model homes on the property and it was enough to blow your socks off. I just kept thinking, "People live like this?" It was so nice!
We rode our bikes all over exploring and enjoying the cool day.
That afternoon, Cord and Dax went to the local bike shop. I wanted to put the regular pedals back on my bike instead of the clip ones. I have tipped over a few too many times with my shoes clipped in. Dax wanted to get his brakes checked on his bike. Three hours later, they returned with flushed cheeks and silly grins on their faces. I was reading a book in the living room and Cord came and sat by me on the couch. He said in a very serious excited voice, "I think I found my bike, but it is a lot of money." I could tell he was all full of adrenalin and excitement. I said, "How much?" He told me and I told him to just do it! It was very exciting. Dax talked Monica into the idea and an hour later they were heading back to the bike shop to pick up their brand new amazingly fancy and expensive bikes. I was so happy for Cord. He sure does enjoy biking and I love seeing him so excited.
I think he needs to name it Orange Crush. :)
They were two very happy boys!
Wednesday, we left bright and early to visit Bear World!
The kids seriously had a blast at this fun place. We saw so many wild animals on our drive through the park. Oliver was going nuts! I let him sit on my lap in the front seat so he could see everything. He was pointing and laughing and squealing every time we saw an animal. Cord and I were loving just being with him. It was so cute!
There was a petting zoo area where the kids all got to touch animals. Monica bought food for them to feed the deer. The tiny deer was our favorite. One of bigger ones liked to sneak up on people and chew on their clothes. Libby did NOT like that deer. One time she was standing and talking to Granny B. The sneaky deer got right behind her and peeked his head right over her shoulder. Libby freaked out! The deer freaked out! Libs started crying and Cord had to take her out of the petting zoo to safety. Poor girl. It was kind of funny. But, don't tell.
We took the curator tour and got to feed the bears. It was so fun to see all of the bears right below us. We threw them bread and they would catch it in their mouths. Lorna threw bread to one bear and he caught it in his mouth three times in a row. The kids thought it was fantastic!
The carnival rides were Gage's favorite part. All of the kids rode the little rides over and over and over again. They were in heaven. I told them they could ride for as long as they wanted. I realized later that I might never get to leave. :) But, we did eventually head back to our condo!
Thursday night, we went back over the mountains to Targhee National Park. We took a boat ride across Jenny Lake to Hidden Falls. The boat ride was beautiful. The kids were champs on our hike up to the falls. Water is so beautiful. The river was raging. The falls were magnificent.
After our hike we each got a treat from the Lodge and then rode over to String Lake to kayak. When we got there, we realized that we had to register our boats to get on the lake. It was such a rig-a-maro, that we decided to bag the kayaking. The kids swam in the ice water for awhile. Dax fished on the lake. The kids were exhausted! We drove home and put them to bed early while the others stopped in Jackson for some dinner.
Friday, Dax and Cord had a big bike riding day at Grand Targhee Resort. They left early and rode on the cross country trail and also rode the ski lift to the top of the mountain and rode the downhill tracks. They spent most of the day there, so the rest of our group went to the Teton County Fair!
The fair was right across the street from our condo complex. It was a small town event, but I loved the feeling. The kids went on a horse ride. We played on teeter totters. We wandered through the 4-H exhibit hall and saw all of the farm animals on display. Granny-B bought us all snow cones. It was a happy place to be.
A storm rolled in later in the afternoon, and the boys made it home just in time to miss the downpour! We played games and had a nice yummy dinner and enjoyed the cool weather.
After that, the boys headed back up to Targhee Resort to do some more runs down the mountain! Monica and I took the kids over to the awesome playground at Buffalo Springs. The picture below is the little kid playground and the big kid playground!!
The boys enjoying their new bikes!!
Saturday afternoon, Granny B and Grandpa headed home! We said goodbye and gave big hugs. That night we rode our bikes, played some games and watched a movie. The kids all got along really well during the whole trip. They played with their new souvenir toys and rode their bikes a ton. I loved watching them enjoy being together.
Sunday, we packed up all of our gear and headed home! We stopped in Pocatello for lunch and played at a park for a bit. Sunday night, we dropped the kayaks off at my parents house and they fed us dinner. It worked out perfectly! It was a really great vacation. We are already planning next summer at Lake Tahoe! YAY!!
















3 comments:
We loved Driggs! But I loved the "Spud Drive-in". So much fun and beauty there and Jackson Hole. Also, their Sunday meetings are like ours. ABSOLUTELY packed in the summer!! What a great vacation.
Aunt Marty
So fun!!! We really need to get back up to Jackson. The last time we did Yellowstone and Jackson, I was pregnant with Elle. Mom and Dad told me the story of Cord's new bike last night :) Good for him!! I was just telling Chris the other day, that Lake Tahoe would be fun. We are trying to plan some new, fun things as well. Love Vacations!!
Just got caught up on reading your blog. Love seeing and hearing about all your adventures, and glad we get to be a part of that! What a summer we've had. We are truly blessed!!
Post a Comment