Friday, February 24, 2012

School Dance

The Elementary School Literacy Luau

So, there we were.
We had just finished decorating two lady bug bookmarks near the kindergarten room.
Music was coming from the gym accompanied by flashing lights and the sweet smell of cotton candy.
The girls pace quickened as they drew closer to the noise.
They entered the room with equal amounts of trepidation and excitement.
They faced the crowd together, side by side, and waited.
Too nervous to take part, but too interested to turn away.

As I watched them standing there together,
on the outskirts of the dance floor,
the scene suddenly changed in my mind...


Just like that, they were in Jr. High at their first after school stomp. 
Libby, completely aware of the cute boy from her second period class--
too nervous to know if she wants him to come closer or to turn and walk away.

Natalie wearing pink lipstick and her favorite shirt making her friends laugh
and at the same time hoping that her breath smells good,
because a cute guy is about to ask her to dance.

Next, sophomore year.  Walking onto the football field to dance at the Fall Fling.
Libby, in her cheerleading uniform.  As comfortable with moving to the beat as breathing. 
Catching the eye of almost every boy that passes by.

Natalie, with stars overhead and stars in her eyes, she welcomes in her high school year with music, guys, and a cute new haircut. 

Senior year, prom.
Buttoning Libby's formal dress as I catch a glimpse of the beautiful woman she has almost become.
Her, holding tightly to her sweetheart as they sway to the sweet sound of a love song.
Seeing her flushed cheeks and giant smile as she walks in the door after her first goodnight kiss.
(wishful thinking?)

Natalie, singing out loud with her date as they dance and talk and laugh the night away.
Her slight frame outlined in a sparkling gown and her big personality filling the dance floor
in an almost tangible way.

Just like that.  They were grown.



With the dance floors they would face in the future fast approaching, I did what any smart mom would do.  I wiped the tears from my eyes, took them each by the hand, and did the hokey pokey while we had the chance. 

And then we got some cotton candy.

3 comments:

Paparazzi Boutique said...

Adelle..what a sweet post. I was just putting some pictures up today of Abby in a wedding dress (yep) and had the same mixed emotions. Why do they have to grow-up so fast? Your girls are adorable. I'm glad you got to do the hokey-pokey. Keep them young. ♥ ya

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Adelle, Don't even think it! My girls are too little to grow up. But it is happening so fast. Ug! Can't we just freeze time, and keep them little forever!! :)

I'm Jenny said...

Welcome to my world! It's fun though, to see them grow up into such amazing people. I love having teenagers and a grown man as my son. I'm so proud of him! Time marches on... new chapters begin. Life is good. :)