Wednesday, December 21, 2011

С Рождеством Христовым (Merry Christmas in Russian)

It certainly was the Most Wonderful Time of the Yar* this past Saturday,
as we celebrated the Christmas Season together as the Dennis Family!

Things started off like usual:

Great food.
Nice conversations.
Clever jokes.
Gingerbread Cookies.
Singing Traditional Christmas Carols.






And then...things began to evolve.


Maybe it was too many bowls of borscht.
(the russian soup ryan made)
Perhaps there was a little something extra in the smoothies?


It could be that the pure magic of Christmas was in full force that night?
We might not ever know.  We do know, however, that things changed....

We turned into a bunch of Russians!


Hats, dancing, and all!
And I tell you what!  It was a hoot.
We were laughing our fur hats off.  :)

There is a nice little 15 second video of Matt and Cord doing their synchronized kicks here.
I think the laughter in the video is almost as silly as the dancing...

Just as you would suspect, things continued on their strange path,
as we discovered the excitement of the stick pull.


It is not very often that you find yourself waking the morning after a Family Christmas Party
with a sore back, but I can name more than one of us who could have used a nice massage.

The kids were smart enough to soak in the hot tub for a bit before 
we wrapped things up that evening...


As we were saying goodbye, we did one big group "Merry Christmas" just like the Santa does on the Rudolf Movie.  All drawn out and Santa-like..."Merrrrrrryyyyy Chrrrissstmaaaaasss!"
It was just fantastic.

If I could speak Russian, I am sure I would close this post with a nice little 
Russian quote, but since I cannot, I guess I will just close by saying:

"No matter where you are in the world, or 
no matter where you think you are in the world, 
Christmas certainly is the most wonderful time of the Yar*!"




*We started the Yar tradition about 15 years ago.  My Dad typed up the words to some of the more popular Christmas Carols for us to use as we sang to the new Christmas Kareoke CD's he purchased.
In the song, "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" some of the words "year" were misspelled "yar."
We decided to sing it as it was written!  You wouldn't think it could still be funny after all these years,
but it really is.  Every time that "yar" comes up in the song, you can guarantee most of us are grinning, snickering, giggling, and smirking....that song will never be the same again.  

Isn't it funny how a simple typo could create one of my fondest Christmas traditions? 

3 comments:

Kara said...

Wow that is quite the party!!! Looks like you had a blast. You have such a fun family:) Hope you have a merry Christmas!

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

When I saw the pic of Natalie decorating Christmas cookies in her Swim suit, I had to laugh. Because that is seriously her #1 outfit. But then when you mentioned the hot tub, I got it :) Looks like a raging good time!! :)

Critt & Britt said...

Sounds like a blast!!! I do love Christmas!