Friday, September 4, 2015

Little Golden Rule Days

School is back in full swing.  It is fun to see the kids walking off in the mornings, loaded down with heavy backpacks.  We are getting the hang of the morning routine.  I miss lazy Summer mornings, but this is okay too.


Libby is in a portable building outside of the school.  She has two teachers that trade of days teaching.  She has a few friends from last year in her class, so she is happy about that.  We got her loaded up with all sorts of fun school supplies.  She has a spray water bottle that we fill with ice water each morning.  She can use it to drink from or to spritz herself with a cool mist when she gets hot.  It is a big hit.  Lib is a good student.  She is responsible and pushes herself to succeed.  She had a pop spelling test that was a little bit traumatic, but we passed over that hump in the road and are hoping for smooth sailing for the rest of the term.  





Natty girl got Mrs Gubler.  We loved her as Libby's teacher, so I was happy about the placement.  Nat isn't quite as excited about school as her sister.  I think she would prefer those lazy Summer mornings as well.  But, she is taking things with stride.  Yesterday, she was selected to be the class leader.  So, that was a pretty big deal.   We are working hard at reading every day and I can already tell she is improving.  I am very confidant she will be doing great by the end of the year!  Nat is always linking arms with a friend or giggling with a group of girls.  She is a social butterfly.  She said some kids are recess were teasing her about how small she is.  I told her to take it as a compliment.  Being little isn't a bad thing.




Nat wasn't in the mood for first day of school photos.  But, I was able to talk her into it.  I think she was feeling a little emotional about the day.  It is a big deal for these little people to face the unknown.


I love that they have each other!!



Gage officially started kindergarten.  My little tiny, sweet, funny, cute boy goes to school!  I can't believe it.  It was so exciting for him to attend the first day.  We got his backpack all ready to go.  Gage picked out his clothes and got himself ready.  (I helped with his hair and tied his shoes.)  We took some photos to document the occasion.  I cried a few times in the process.  We made Gage's All About Me Poster.  It was so fun to hear the answers to the questions.  Who knew he wanted to work at Disneyland and that marshmallows are his favorite food?  It's good to be kid!  Ollie, Gage, and I shared a picnic lunch on the front porch.  Ollie gave Gage lots of big hugs and squeezes.  I encouraged the squeezing.  In fact, I joined in on it myself.  







Gage wasn't nervous at all about heading to class.  He was so excited.  On the way into the school he saw a buddy from his soccer team and they ran into the school together.  It made me so happy to see him find an immediate friend.  Ollie and I went into the class to make sure Gage was settled in nicely.  I took a few pictures and said several last goodbyes.  It was hard to tear myself away!  He gave me a big smile and a thumbs up as I walked away.  I cried again.  But, it was okay because I was wearing sunglasses.  I got smart.  This is my third kindergarten drop off.  I came prepared.  


I am glad that the kids get to attend school.  They are learning so much about life and friendships.  They have fun and dance on top of the desks!  They get to earn fake money to buy prizes when they are good.  They run and play at recess and get to sing in the choir.  There is so much more to school than books and tests.  I am glad that we have such a good elementary.  I send a part of me to Bates each school day.  It is hard to be apart from my little buddies, but I know they are at a fantastic place!  
Looking forward to a fun year! 

1 comment:

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Great pictures of the first day of School! I'm with Natalie, I kind of liked those lazy summer mornings, but school and fall are totally awesome too!! :)