Monday, April 28, 2014

I'm All Made of Hinges (sort of)

Sometimes life needs a bit of shaking up. 

A few weeks ago, I was late taking Libby to dance.  It is a bit of a drive to get there, so I figured I would just stay and watch instead of driving home.  I quickly found out that sitting and watching isn't my style and asked if I could dance with the girls.  I promised to stand in the back and behave myself.  It was so fun!  We got to do jumps and leaps and turns and all sorts of ballet steps.  I really enjoyed myself. 

The very next day I sent a message to Kathy and told her that if she needed a ballet teacher next fall that I was in!  She said she would love it.  A few minutes later she called me and asked if I would like to substitute teach that night!  (The usual teacher called in sick.)   It was the perfect chance to try it out.  I have to admit I was a bit nervous at first.  It has been a LONG time since I have really done any dancing.  I should not have worried. The girl's in the classes were amazing.  They accepted me immediately, laughed at my jokes, listened when I talked, and danced along with me...even though I was a bit rusty.  One of the classes I taught was Libby's.  When we left the studio that night, she looked over at me with a smile and said, "Mom, those girls really like you."  I laughed that she sounded so surprised.  I could tell she was feeling proud that I was her mom.  It made my heart so happy.

I am exited about this new adventure.  I have a ton of ideas rolling through my head on how to help the girl's become better dancers.  I want to inspire them to become the best they can be on the inside and outside.  I already love them. 

I figured I had better get myself whipped into shape!  So, today I watched a few videos on the Seven Gymnastic Girl's You Tube Channel and got some pointers on how to improve flexibility.  Let's just say I am not exactly Mrs. Stretchy anymore.  So, with a tiny Natalie coach, I spent 30 minutes working on my splits.  I'm not gonna lie, it is going to take awhile!  But, I am determined to get them flat. 

Here are my official "Before" photos.  I figured if I post them here it will help motivate me to make some progress.  Any tips or suggestions are welcome.  I feel awfully silly.  Ha! 


And for kicks, here is my forward stretch.  Oh, boy.  Let's hope those "Gymnastics Girl's" know what they are talking about.  .  . I need some serious improvements in my flexibility.


I am on this Earth to grow and learn and progress.  I can't do that if I don't ever stretch myself.  So, here is to a new adventure!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I think it's so awesome you're going to teach! I still think you should teach adult ballet ;) We'll have to do our stretching exercises after walking group!

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

I was going to wish you good luck, but you're pretty much good at everything you do! :)