Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Very Special Delivery!

Those who do not believe in love at first sight, 
have never given birth to a baby.


On Thursday morning (February 21), I woke up at about 6:00.
I was thirsty.
As I was getting out of bed, I told Cord,
"Don't worry.  I'm not in labor.  I just need a drink."

As I sat at the bar in the kitchen drinking my chocolate milk, I felt a soft contraction.
Then, about 10 minutes later, I felt another one.
After an hour of sitting at the bar, I decided I actually might be in labor.

I told Cord to go to work because the contractions were so light.
I went out to my weekly visit to the doctor.
By the time I got there, I figured I wasn't in labor.
I was barely contracting!  I was so mad!  I wanted that baby out!
When Dr. Seale checked me, I was already dilated to a 5.
He told me to head right over to Labor and Delivery!
Wahoo!

Luckily, our bags were packed and in the car.
My dad came and met me at the hospital and I gave him all of the kids gear.
And I checked myself into Labor and Delivery, alone, and a bit anxious.

Cord was in a meeting with NO CELL SERVICE, so I had to wait to tell him to come.
He got to the hospital just after I got all hooked up to the IV and Penicillin.  
(I had to be hooked up to the antibiotic because I tested positive for Strep B)
I had to wait four hours for the antibiotic to take effect, so I was visualizing NOT having the baby for the first four hours.
The contractions were still so minor, Cord, Lorna, and I just talked and walked around in the halls.
Cord and I tried to decide on a name!

At 3:00 my doc came and broke my water.
And then, things started moving!
Cord and I continued to walk the halls.  We walked well over a mile!
Things started getting ouchie, and I was feeling lots of pressure,
so we headed back to our room.  Labor was getting very uncomfortable.

My mom came!  Ryan had made it to her house to get Gage and Natalie, so she
was free to come and be with me.  It was nice to see her.

The nurse checked me and I was dilated to a NINE!
No wonder I was feeling pressure.  :)

We called the doc over and I labored in bed for about 20 minutes.
Ouch.
When he got there the contractions suddenly slowed down again.
What???  I was so ready to be done!
Then they started up.  Then they slowed down.
Grrrrrrrr...

Doctor Seale had them hook up some Pictocin (sp?) to see if we could make the contractions more steady. It must have worked because I suddenly needed to push that baby out!
After three or four good hearty pushes and a little bit of slicing,
we had ourselves a big beautiful soft and slimy baby boy!

Cord told me afterwards he thought my head was going to pop because it got so red pushing the baby out.  Well no wonder...he was NINE pounds and an ounce!  A little fatso. 

He was born at 6:38 PM
(3 and a half hours after my water broke)

We decided to call him:  Oliver George Belnap
 I like to call him my little Ollie. 


All in all I feel like the labor went as good as can be expected.
It was only intense for the last hour or so.
It is icky.  It hurts to get put back together afterwards.  
But, I had great support from Cord and the hospital staff!

Recovery is a bummer.  It is slow and ouchie.  
But, baby Oliver is a dream baby.
His face is so cute.  He makes squeaking noises.
His chubby little body is so soft and snuggley.
He sleeps almost all day long.  He never cries.  He eats like a champ.

Oh, we love him so much!!   






I am one very blessed woman.

10 comments:

I'm Jenny said...

He is such a little stud! What a blessing it is to be a mother. I hope you are feeling well, and getting lots of rest. :)

Katie said...

So happy for you, Adelle! What a handsome little boy :) You are amazing!

Brooke said...

He is so cute Adelle! So glad you shared!

Crystal Taylor said...

Congrats!! He is beautiful. And way to go on the natural delivery. I know exactly how you feel:)
Crystal

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Cute pictures!! I'm glad you posted the story so I could get all the details :) I NEED to come visit and hold that little sweet boy!

Natalie said...

Love it!! He is so adorable and I love LOVE his name!!! You're a super-star Adelle. Way TO GO!! That's a pretty big baby with no epidural!!
Sleep well!!

Unknown said...

Congrats! You and Cord do good work. He is so beautiful. I did the natural delivery with all my kids, too. Ouch! And I did the same thing with my second one. Checked myself in, etc. Funny, the thoughts and feelings that come running back. BUT.....nothing like it in the world. How blessed we all are! Can't wait to see him in person. Love you all.

Unknown said...

oops, that was me, your aunt Marty. :)

Critt & Britt said...

Oh man Adelle, he is so cute! I had no idea you were even pregnant. That means it has been way too long and we need to get together. Congrats on little Ollie! He is one beautiful baby!

Kyle and Shayla said...

Congrats on your sweet little man! Love, love, love reading about delivery stories. Thanks for sharing and i am glad things seem to go pretty well for you. You are a champ!!