Thursday, January 12, 2012

Many Hats

Have you ever heard the expression that "A Mother Wears Many Hats?"

I feel like I have a whole closet full of them.

Event Planner.
Chef.
Police Officer. 
Personal Shopper.
Taxi Driver.
Cheerleader.
Maid.

You get the idea.  Lately, I have felt an awful lot like a pharmacist.  As you can see, I have been administering plenty of meds.


We have been doing too much germ sharing and have created a continuous round of sickness being passsed from person to person to person.  Can we go somewhere warm please?  With plenty of sunshine and a drought of germs?  That would be fantastic.

In an effort to get rid of all of the strep throat that circles our place, the doctor recommended that Natty get her tonsils out.  We heartily agreed when he shone a light down her throat and showed us the monstrous tonsils she was dealing with.  They were huge and all nasty.  They had to come out.

Yesterday, they did.

This is Nat's new friend Unicorn.  She got him at the surgical center from mommy.  I figured she needed something to snuggle.  He is so soft and cute.  He matches her unicorn pillow pet.  I guess I should say "she."  I am pretty sure it is a girl.  Natalie has carried her around since she has been home...


Cord took the day off work to say home with Lib and Gage and I took Nat.  Perhaps not the best decision seeing as how I cannot handle anything painful or medical.  And, I fear this procedure fell into both those categories.  I was happy to be there to hold my little girl and make her feel loved and secure though.  That--I CAN do.  Sometimes you just need your mommy.  I was lucky enough to have mine along too.  I supported Nat and my mom supported me.  It was so nice having her there with me.  Together we could handle fits about the itchy surgical gown, nerves, unexpected throw up, and refusal to take pain medication.

I couldn't' believe how brave Natalie was to go with the anesthesiologist away from mom and grandma and towards the unknown.  She didn't even cry when he picked her up and walked down the hall without us.  What a cutie!


The procedure went really well and it was relatively quick--about 25 minutes or so.  When they brought us back to see her afterwards, Nat was in a bit of a fit.  She didn't like the IV in her hand so they took it out, but it hurt.  And that was how she was supposed to get her pain medication.  So her thoat was hurting too.  Poor thing was so confused and shaky from the anesthesia and sick to her stomach.  I was a bit sick as well seeing her suffering so. 

She wouldn't take her medicine with a syringe.  When we finally forced her to do it, she threw it all up.  I think that made her stomach feel better, but it didn't help with the pain.  Luckily, my mom was inspired to make a bribe!  She called my Dad and made the deal that if Natalie would willingly take her medicine, that Grandpa would buy her the Barbie movie that she wanted.  Natalie listened.  She swallowed her medicine just like that!  When he walked into he recovery room with that video, it really changed the tide of the whole recovery.  As soon as Natalie knew she could watch the Three Musketeers as many times as she wanted, we were set!  It has been great ever since...


My parents are so great.  They brought us out a fabulous Italian dinner last night and made sure to bring a special plate for Natalie of soft noodles and homemade pudding.  They take such good care of us all.


 I am hoping to change my hat now.  Natalie is on the mend, and hopefully, the other kids are as well.  I much prefer my Event Planning hat.  And, with the four day weekend coming up. . . I am sure I can come up with something fun for us all to do!   In the mean time, it is all popsicles and movies!











4 comments:

Paparazzi Boutique said...

Awe...isn't it great to still have parents to take care of us, even if we are getting up there in age? I always love having my mom around.

All 3 of mine went through that process of T&A surgery, I remember it well. Glad Natty is on the mend.

The Green's said...

Surgery is sooooo hard. Even the easy ones. The worst part is the recovery. You never know what you are going to get. I'm glad everything is going well.

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

I remember getting my tonsils out when I was young. Not a very fun experience. Glad Nat is on the mend! Good thing for Barbie Movies :) Yes, lets hang out soon. I thought you had left that gift for Bree at Mom's and called her tonight to see. I guess we should get together. Yay for 4 day weekends!!

Natalie said...

So glad things went well for little Natty (and you too!) Nice to have that checked off the list!!