Sunday, January 1, 2012

It's Tradition!

I love a good tradition.
Fireworks on the Fourth of July.
Cake on your birthday.
A new dress for Easter Sunday.
and 
a trip to the Boyd Cabin for New Years.

Traditions make life events special and familiar.  There is something about knowing what is coming up and being able to anticipate the fun.  It is like slipping into your favorite pair of jeans, or your old running shoes.  It just feels right.

This year was a little bit different than those in the past, because the Earth forgot to snow this December.  My word.  Where is all of the white stuff?  I was actually rather surprised to see any snow at all on the ground when we got there.  We were lucky enough to have 45 degree weather the first few days.  Weird, but actually quite delightful.

I think Natalie was packing to go on the trip to California with Ryan's family instead of heading up the mountains in the snow.  She always finds a way to slip into a swimming suit.


Gage needed this helmet a day sooner.
He got a pretty serious bonk on his head just 5 mintues before we left for the trip.
Poor little guy. Good thing babies heal fast!


We enjoyed plenty of time outdoors.  Cord took the kids for rides on the machines.  Pretty much the only way to get Gage to take a nap was to take him out for a ride!


This field is usually packed with snow.  We had fun on the inch or two that was there this time!


One afternoon we all went down to the meadow to fly the kites.
Jen pulled Gage over in the sled.  It was so cute.
 



Nat was such a little trooper pulling Gage across the snowy field.
I seriously love these small people.  They make my life so full.


I couldn't get enough of Gage in these pics.  
He was being so cute and silly for me I had to share.
What a little mountain man...




Sometimes we refer to our time at the cabin as an eat-a-thon.  
There is so much food it is crazy.
Hard to complain about homemade fudge, enchiladas, birthday cake, hot rolls from the oven, cheesy potatoes, thick french toast, hot cocoa, brownies...well, you get the idea.  

Luckily, we were able to squeeze in a few good walks or they would have had to roll me home!

Libby enjoyed drinking the red punch as you can see from the evidence shown here:


She also had fun playing with all of the Boyd boys.
(In fact, all the kids did!)
There was plenty of games of hide-n-go seek, wrestling matches, snow mobile rides, 
tickling, and piggy back rides to go around!



I guess the only bummer is that Gage refused to sleep!  He must not have been feeling great and he was all stuffed up.  I was soooooooooo tired from being up pretty much all night two nights in a row that I felt like a zombie.  I was grateful for good ole' Barnes and Noble.com.  I downloaded the book Crossed (one that I have been wanting to get for awhile) at about 2 in the morning and spent the night reading it on my iPad.  I love the internet!  It almost made being up all night worth it. 

Traditions.  They really do make life sweet...

Happy New Year!




5 comments:

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. One of these years, I'm going to talk Chris into going up. Of course, the No sleep thing, doesn't sound like too much fun. But I guess the food made up for it! :)

Paparazzi Boutique said...

It was fun Adelle. I enjoyed the day the two of us went for a walk. It was fun to chat. I'm still trying to get back into my pants after all that food. Yum!

Natalie said...

Looks like a great holiday! Didn't know LIbby was a cheerleader in training!

Sharstin said...

is that snow i see?? what in the world:) looks like such a fun family time~

I'm Jenny said...

great tradition. love catching up on your blog. too bad it takes a sick day in bed for me to finally have time to surf the internet. :( i think it is so great you are documenting your life this way. love you!